Job ID 37809
Who We Are
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. The mandate of the OSC is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices, to foster fair, efficient and competitive capital markets and confidence in the capital markets, to foster capital formation, and to contribute to the stability of the financial system and the reduction of systemic risk. This mandate is performed through policy, operational, adjudication and enforcement work. The OSC also contributes to national and global securities regulation development.
We offer a diverse, fair and flexible work environment, and take pride in our challenging and rewarding work.
What We Do
The Information Services (IS) Branch supports the full spectrum of OSC employees’ information technology needs, ensuring that the organization can effectively regulate Ontario’s capital market. Specifically, Information Services is responsible for system development and support services. Branch staff partner with managers and directors to develop solutions that both streamline operations and optimize efforts across all points of information technology.
The IS Summer Student will be instrumental in supporting the IS Branch on a number of initiatives. Some of the potential initiatives include: Building the Application Services SharePoint Site, Implementation of Dynamics 365, Cloud migration and IS modernization.
The IS Summer Student will work under the direction of the manager of Application Services to support projects based on priority. The student may be involved with the following:
- Engages with internal stakeholders to define business requirements, technical needs, identifying issues and challenges, validating desired outcomes and expectations, identifying critical design elements and translating business process requirements into workable technology solutions.
- Utilizes Agile or Waterfall SDLC methods to develop, test, implement and support new/existing applications and systems modifications, liaising between client and external developer/vendor to manage activities and translate specification requirements, testing applications prior to implementation and ensuring new applications satisfy business needs with high quality standards.
- Creates detailed design and operational documentation for the solutions developed and implemented
- Reviews business requirements/user stories, issue logs with stakeholders (product owners, business analysts, developers) and clarify any ambiguity to ensure test conditions are understood
The IS Summer Student will work with a variety of stakeholders such as Project Managers, Product Owners, Tech Leads, Technical Services, Developers, Quality Assurance, Business Analysts and Business Reps.
This is an exciting opportunity for a budding technical expert who is passionate about cultural and operational transformation that drives our technology vision into value added solutions.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- You are currently enrolled in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) or related post secondary program
- Experience with SharePoint (configuration and information updates) is an asset.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills coupled with a ‘can do’ attitude that focuses on the development of actionable solutions
- Strong written and oral communication
- You are a quick learner with strong work ethic and the ability to meet deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage with stakeholders across the team and Branch
- You are able to work with little direction to achieve the desired outcomes
- You are a self-motivated, independent learner with a strong aptitude for technology with attention to detail
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC!
Please include the file number and position title in your application. In addition, your application must include the following:
- Cover letter – stating your interest in working for the OSC and branch
- Copies of your current undergraduate transcripts
- Reference letters are welcomed but not required
If possible, please attach the above documents in one PDF document, with the naming convention “Last Name, First Name, File JR100270.”
Please submit your application for this position through the OSC website below. Applications must be received between Monday, February 12, 2024 and Monday, February 26, 2024 at 11:59 pm EST.
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Ontario Securities Commission. We will contact those selected for an interview.
The OSC is committed to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace. It is our priority to ensure employment opportunities are visible and barrier-free to all under-represented groups, including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ2S community, to achieve an employee demographic profile reflective of the demographic profile of Ontarians.
The OSC is a proud partner with the following organizations: BlackNorth Initiative < https://blacknorth.ca/ >, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion < https://ccdi.ca/ >, and Pride at Work Canada < https://prideatwork.ca/ >.
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting our confidential inbox HRRecruitment@osc.gov.on.ca.