Job ID 37389
The Vector Institute is an independent, not-for-profit Canadian corporation dedicated to AI research. We work across sectors to advance AI application, adoption, and commercialization across Canada.
We are seeking a Technical Specialist to join our growing Business Computing team in Toronto. The organization is growing and has recently moved into a newly built office at the Schwartz Reisman Innovation Campus in downtown Toronto. This position will play a key role in supporting our user community, maintaining our business computing infrastructure, and supporting our cybersecurity program.
The Technical Specialist is expected to have advanced knowledge of personal computing technologies and basic knowledge/certifications on networking, servers, and/or commonly used business systems.
- Respond to technical support requests from Vector’s user community and resolve technical issues through troubleshooting and escalating to internal or external resources where required;
- Provide support and administration of key business systems as assigned (e.g., Google Workspace, Microsoft Office 365);
- Support senior technical staff in maintaining Vector’s business infrastructure;
- Participate in cybersecurity program activities including monitoring security logs and performance management systems and taking appropriate investigative and remedial actions where necessary;
- Participate in the procurement and deployment of personal computing and communications equipment;
- Participate in various technology initiatives and projects as assigned; and,
- Provide training/education to staff and customers.
KEY SUCCESS MEASURES:
- Maintain high level of user satisfaction;
- Ensure the smooth functioning of the business systems and network infrastructure, through regular monitoring, maintenance, and renewal of equipment and services; and,
- Support the successful and timely delivery of new technology initiatives.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Degree or diploma in computer science or engineering or equivalency or equivalent knowledge gained through 3+ years of work-related experience;
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience in similar or equivalent environments (mid-sized organization with standard networking environment);
- Demonstrated experience working in technical support roles for mid-sized or large organizations;
- Advanced experience supporting personal computing and communications equipment in a networked business environment;
- Experience supporting business users on a networked environment;
- Experience with supporting business networks and servers;
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, prioritize tasks, and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment;
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse range of end users while troubleshooting issues; and,
- Strong attention to detail.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES BELOW ARE CONSIDERED AN ASSET:
- Network support and management experience
- Cybersecurity experience and/or certifications
- Server support and management experience
At the Vector Institute we are committed to driving excellence and leadership in Canada’s knowledge, creation, and use of AI to foster economic growth and improve the lives of Canadians.
We strive for greater inclusion in the programs and culture that we build by welcoming and encouraging applications from all qualified candidates. This includes but is not limited to applicants who are indigenous, 2SLGBTQIA+, racialized persons/visible minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
If you require an accommodation at any point throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com and we will happily work with you to meet your needs.